Cookie Notice

As far as I know, and as far as I remember, nothing in this page does anything with Cookies.

2008/12/11

Taking control of my environment ...

As mentioned, I now have OpenSolaris available at my beck and call via VirtualBox.

Interesting story: Right about the time I finished that installation, I had problems with my screen setup. You see, I was bored, so I was playing with screen resolutions. My #1 monitor wants to be at 1680x1050, and due to my futzing, Gnome wouldn't let me get to anything closer than 1280x1024. Which looked like crap and kept the panels out of view.

By the way, I love multiple monitors.



Anyway, you can right-click on the desktop and set your screen resolution under Windows. You can right-click on the desktop and set your screen resolution via Gnome under OpenSolaris. It is a menu option for Ubuntu. You cannot get to it via right-click, and sometimes you really need to.

That is, without modification.

Make a ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ directory. Make a file called Screen Resolution. Make it executable. And make it say this:


#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/gnome-display-properties


Probably the easiest program I ever wrote! And with Intrepid, I didn't have to HUP Nautilus to make it see the scripts, which is always useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment